Ingredients for 8 individual servings1 package of Mascarpone (usually 250/225 gr)
3 eggs, yokes in one bowl, whites in another.
3 table spoons of sugar +1 spoon for the berries
1package of frozen raspberries (2 1/2 cups usually) and 1 cup of blueberries
1 spoon of butter
a package of lady fingers
a splash of orange liquor (cognac or rum will also work)
I served it in clear glasses so you could see all the different layers of cream, berries and cookies. It's perfect for a dinner party and it's a lot easier to serve.
FOR THE MASCARPONE CREAM PROCEED AS USUAL:1. Whip the yokes with the 3 spoons of sugar.
2. Add the mascarpone and keep whipping.
3. Clean the whip and whip the egg whites (that you had previously put in a different bowl) until they're super hard. I've been using my new kitchen aid, what a difference it makes! I couldn't believe it! Anyway...
4. Carefully fold the whipped egg whites in the yellow-ish cream. I don't cook my mascarpone cream and I eat raw eggs. Nothing has ever happened to me, but I don't recommend making this on a very hot day.
5. Cover the bowl of cream with surround wrap and place in the fridge.
FOR THE BERRY SAUCE
1. Warm some butter in a non stick pan, throw the berries in and cover with remaining sugar (or to taste)
2. Cover, and let the berries cook down and thicken on low flame. Some people like to go the extra mile and take the seeds out with a small strainer, but I personally love the seeds (I know I'm weird).
3. To test if they have cooked down enough, with a spoon drop some berry juice on a plate: if it runs down the plate slowly it's done. If it's barely moving, well my friend, you have reduced it too much...!
Let it cool down before you put it on the mascarpone cream.
Let's build our dessert!
-Start with a spoon of berries.
-Lay the cookies on top, wet them with the orange liquor (less then a teaspoon).
-Now a generous spoon of mascarpone cream.
Repeat as many times as you desire and end on a layer of the berry reduction and some cane sugar sprinkled on top! Keep them in the fridge until it's time to serve them, covered with surround wrap.
This dessert is best chilled. It keeps in the fridge for max 2 days. It's ok to freeze it.