Yes, yes, I know cupcakes are not an italian dish, but my friend Robyn Muse makes the most amazing ones and I just had to learn how to make them! Here is the full list of ingredients.
For 24 cupcakes:
2 1/2 cup flour with 2 tsp baking powder
1 stick of butter (8 tbsp)
2 cup sugar
4 large Gala apples
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
3/4 cup butter milk
For the Syllabub
4 tbsp caster sugar (normal sugar will also work)
1tbsp Calvados (I did a variation with Gran Marnier and it turned out delicious)
1/2 cup apple cider or the juice of the apples used for the cupcakes
300 ml heavy cream
the juice of one lemon
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
For the step by step instructions you can watch the video recipe here
1. Mix all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger).
2. In a separate container cream the butter with a hand whip
3. Add the sugar, the eggs, the flour slowly and mindfully on at the time
4. Grate the apples with a cheese grater and with the help of a pinch of salt squeeze all the juice out of them. We don't want too much moister in the batter because that would make it soggy. Keep the juice, we'll use it for the topping. Add 4 cups of the squeezed grated apples.
5. Put the cupcakes cups in the cupcakes tin and 3 tbsp of batter in each one of them.
6. Place in medium/low rack in the oven set to 350 F/180 C for about 20 minutes.
1. Mix all the ingredients together except for the heavy cream and whisk till sugar is dissolved.
2. Add the heavy cream and start whipping it until the cream is dense and firm
3. Place in the fridge and let it cool for about 30 minutes.
LET'S PUT THEM TOGETHER!
Once the cupcakes are cold you can top them with the Syllabub. If it seems like it's too liquid, put the cupcakes with the syllabub topping in the fridge for another 10 minutes. With a flat knife make some ripples in the syllabub (watch the video for a better sense on how to do this).
Decorate with cinnamon powder, cinnamon sticks and your choice of sugar sprinkles!