Pasta Choux - Choux Pastry
I have always been afraid to fail at making choux pastry for years, but I learned that if you follow the recipe to the letter and wait for proper rest times, you can’t miss!
Ingredients for about 40 shells:
200 ml water (3/4 cup plus 1tbsp)
100 gr butter (1/2 cup)
a pinch of salt
1 spoon of sugar (omit this if you’re making savory choux)
130 gr flour, sifted (1 1/3 cup)
Step by Step:
(you can watch the video up there for, you visual learners!)
1. In a non stick pot heat up the water, butter, sugar and salt, till the butter is completely melted.
2. Add the flour and stir well, cook until the dough comes off the walls of the pot
3. Add the eggs one by one. DON’T ADD THE NEXT ONE UNTIL THE PREVIOUS ONE HAS BEEN FULLY INCORPORATE OR MISFORTUNE WILL FALL UPON YOU! I’m joking, just blend it well though.
The result should be a nice sticky dough. Watch the video to see how sticky.
4. Fill a pastry bag (sac a poche in french and also italian) and push all the dough towards the tip. If you don’t have a pastry bag you can use two spoons. Make walnut size dough mountains, at least one inch apart.
5. Bake the shells at 220 C/ 425 F for the first 15 minutes (this will brown them) and then turn the oven to 190 C/ 375 F and finish baking for 10 min (this will dry them out. Let them cool on a cooling rack.
6. Fill with your favorite custard, in the video I show you how to make a quick and easy pastry cream, but you could also check out this other recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT8gOFi9OvM
Thanks for following the Real Italian Kitchen, please subscribe to the YouTube Channel or to my mailing list if you enjoyed this post,